Monday, January 02, 2017

Grocery Shopping, Moroccan-style

After studying in a cafe, I made my way to the souk in the medina to go grocery shopping.

In three languages (French, Arabic, Spanish) I negotiated for my provisions.

There really is no better way to shop.  Searching out the savoriest olives (try the lemon-garlic ones), the sweetest raisins (the reddish amber ones) and the juiciest dates (the Tunisian ones, with a perfumed hint of rosewater).

"We have something here you call "organic" in America.  We call it "food," as a Bosnian named Lejla once remarked to me.

Lentils for dinner, an Indian-style curry with potatoes, carrots and onions.

The beauty of mysticism, of being present, is always focusing on the impeccable quality of the minute occurrences; grocery shopping should always be such a delight.

No comments: