Sunday, October 16, 2016

Honoritas

While over at my friends Cristina and Gernas' flat for a lovely Saturday brunch, I noticed that on their bookshelf was a glass jar with little nondescript scrolls rolled up and tied in a gold string.  The neck of the bottle said: honoritas.

I asked Cristina what it was, and she smiled.  She said to choose one.  I did.  This is what the little luminous scroll said in Romanian, translated:

I'm like a spy in the service of the one above.
-Kierkegaard

The saint that is beloved for God is the ideal eunuch (castrata).  Life ends where the Kingdom of God begins.
-Nietzsche

If you want to stay in the sphere of the religious, then you have to fight.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

It is so difficult to imagine the world without God, so that if God was to forget it, the world would immediately disappear.
-Kierkegaard

If I believed in God, my arrogance would be without borders.  I would even be able to walk naked in the streets.
-Emil Cioran

If God made this world, I would not like to be that God.  Contemplating it would break my heart.
-Schopenhauer

"How do I know that two people understand the same thing, when each says they believe in God"
-Wittgenstein

After all, I made a doctoral thesis at God.
-Alexanderu Dragomir, whom studied under Heidegger

And another thought to end on, from a conversation at Cafe Belga with a fellow named Jean-Pierre who was sitting next to me and marveled that I was reading/translating Tintin while he was reading a book on the unknown symbols of Hergé: le hasard n'existe pas (chance does not exist).

1 comment:

DrBones said...

"God does not play dice with the universe". - Albert Einstein