Sunday, June 19, 2016

Happy Father's Day

In what is becoming a sad annual tradition, I am honoring my father on Father's Day with a contribution in his honor to organizations fighting to make change.

Last year, Father's day came in the wake of the Charleston Church shooting, so I honored my father with a donation to the NAACP.

I do something similar for Mother's Day.

This year, Father's Day comes in the wake of the Pulse massacre, so I am honoring him with a donation in his honor to the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence.  I know he would approve--I can remember him teaching me from a young age the absurdities of gun violence in America.  He kept this poster below in our kitchen from when I was 4 years old.

I am also honoring him with a donation to GLAAD, because I know he would support the fight against violence towards the Gay community, or any community targeted in America.

Happy Father's Day, Abba!  Thanks for always being there to teach me what was right, and what was just.

PS: Being the mensch that he is, he matched all of my donations and exceeded them in contributions!

No comments: