Saturday, January 30, 2016

Turn the page

On a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha
You can listen to the engine moanin' out its one note song
You can think about the woman, or the girl you knew the night before

But your thoughts will soon be wandering, the way they always do
When you're riding sixteen hours and there's nothing there to do
And you don't feel much like riding, you just wish the trip was through

Here I am, on a road again
There I am, on the stage
Here I go, playing star again
There I go, turn the page

Walking down the dusty artery of Tegucigalpa on a quiet cold Saturday morning.  Everyone is gone, and soon I will leave.  The long road through Central and South America is over, and I am content.  In Spanish contento also means happy.

It has been an amazing run.  Through the heart of Salvador.  Through San Salvador and the talented Salvador hip hop community.  Through Soyapongo--the most dangerous barrio in Central America, where we built community and connections.  We created platforms for hip hop education to grow in a place that needs it.

Through Colombia, with possibilities abound.  Through the pastel Latin Zanzibar that was Cartagena.  To Tayrona on the Colombian-Caribbean coast.  To the mountains of Minca with Lida the Czech swan.

Through Honduras, with the Sucio Quatro, whom Money Mark aptly described as:
Team Honduras is the foulest-mouthed, trash-talkingest Next Level group I've had the pleasure of knowing. Of course, they are also incredible artists, dedicated teachers, and inspiring human beings. It's been an honor.

Good times in "The Goose" as Tegucigalpa is affectionately called.  In Honduras, we planted more seeds in Central America, and I think there will reason to return.

Out there in the spotlight you're a million miles away
Every ounce of energy, you try to give away
As the sweat pours out your body like the music that you play

Later in the evening as you lie awake in bed
With the echoes from the amplifiers ringin' in your head
You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said

Here I am, on a road again
There I am, up on the stage
Here I go, playing star again
There I go, turn the page

I have been tilting at windmills with legends like Medusa, and geniuses like DiViNCi.  With the most incredible, talented and brilliant people, whom I led into battle.  I can be forgiven for thinking it is all simply a knight-errant's dream.  His dharma to right the world by building bridges and constructing spaces.

I have just a few miles to go before I can sleep.  I can dream of new adventures.  I can take a little time for me.  To write.  To think.  To plan for new adventures.

As a Quixotite, I know that whatever I dream I can make true.

And as the Embassy vehicle climbed the hill, I had a view across the city and the mountains in the distance ringed with giant windmills.  I smiled at this punctuated end to my story.

No comments: