Monday, October 26, 2015

Addendum

I have talked my way into free drinks; I have connived my way into free drinks; I have flirted my way into free drinks; but I have never studied my way into a free drink.

The addendum to my story came at the bar Le Temps du Rois, a lovely old medieval bar in the middle of the town square.  I was studying over a drink to catch up with the advanced class I would be joining tomorrow.

I needed another drink, so I ordered a Grimbergen Ambree and asked the bartender and a woman at the bar a word from my lesson that I didn't recognize: "Soulignez--Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Soulignez apparently means: to cross out.  The question and the answer got me a free beer.

Soulignez l'addition.

People appreciate effort, the French even more so.

Merci, et Vive La France!

PS: apparently, soulignez is underline not cross out.  Oh well, maybe I should stay in the basic class 

No comments: