Sunday, July 12, 2015

A la gloria

When all the revelers and whores have gone to bed, an eerie, early calm embraces the city--that is when I love Amsterdam the most.

In the quiet still. as canals create infinite arches with the stone arched bridges, and the only sounds are the bells ringing; birds calling; the street sweepers gently dusting street sleepers.

Filed under: the little things: drinking tap water.  Or from the shower.  After long periods in Africa, where that is not remotely possible.  I love such luxuries.

Amsterdam is Disneyland for big kids.

You'll remember me
when the west wind moves
across the fields of barley.
Sting, "Fields of Gold"

A la gloria.

Rule your mind,
or your mind
will rule you.
-Buddha

I love getting to focus on the present.  And pay attention to the beautiful contours of a tram as it bends to take a curve.

I love focusing on now.

I had a wonderful moment of blueberry zen in the depths of Frankdaal Park, sitting on a park bench under a beautiful old tree.  Its gnarls showed its years.  I listed to God moving slowly over the face of the waters by Moby.

I love Amsterdam because I feel the most free here.  Holland has drawn a line in the sand of acceptable behavior, and I am on the ride side of that line.  It's comforting to know that I have to work hard to do wrong here.  If Holland says don't do it, who am I to disagree?

No comments: