Monday, May 25, 2015

Hermitage II

"At times in my life I have sought hermitage, generally by running off to a foreign country where nobody knows my name, place where I could go many days without speaking to a soul, and many weeks without hearing my native language. Whether prompted by a dull job,a romance gone sour, or a general sense of all-encompassing malaise, each trek has been a welcome escape. And each time I travel I see enough fascinating things to reignite my appreciation for the beauty of life.

But I have always fled society out of anger rather than joy. It is not a calm, reasoned rejection of the World of Illusions, merely frustration that the illusion isn't pleasing enough. Perhaps that is why, when the anger burns itself out, I always come back.

I've got it all backward, of course. I sever all attachments, slough off possessions, home, friends and family, tread the road with no destination in mind- but only for a time. I use hermitage to restore my love for the world, not to break free from its hold."

-Jonah Blank, "The Arrow of the Blue-Skinned God"

I posted this a few years ago, but it rings true after my sojourn in Zanzibar--a bit of hermitage that brought me a bit of peace.

No comments: