Saturday, January 31, 2015

What Andrew Sullivan's exit says about the future of blogging

An interesting article on the future of blogging:
The first is that, at this moment in the media, scale means social traffic. Links from other bloggers — the original currency of the blogosphere, and the one that drove its collaborative, conversational nature — just don't deliver the numbers that Facebook does. But blogging is a conversation, and conversations don't go viral. People share things their friends will understand, not things that you need to have read six other posts to understand. Blogging encourages interjections into conversations, and it thrives off of familiarity. 
Social media encourages content that can travel all on its own. Alyssa Rosenberg put it well at the Washington Post. "I no longer write with the expectation that you all are going to read every post and pick up on every twist and turn in my thinking. Instead, each piece feels like it has to stand alone, with a thesis, supporting paragraphs and a clear conclusion."  
As anyone who reads this blog knows, I have not been writing as much anymore.  I would probably cite a few reasons in varying levels of importance: a) I have a girlfriend who takes up a lot of the time that used to be spent on the blog.  b) My work leaves me little time to blog--I am so focused on the details of the programs I run that I scarcely have time to come up for air.  The second point does sadden me a bit, because at a time when I have so much fodder to discuss, I have so little time to discuss it.

There is also a factor that I should honestly admit: the social factor of social media.  When I post something on Facebook, be it a picture or an article or my thoughts, there is immediate feedback and a bit of positive reinforcement that simply does not come with posting a tome on my blog.  Granted, it is a shallow bit of "likery" but, to be perfectly honest, it is still more fulfilling (slightly) to get some feedback that social media offers.

But maybe I will make it a goal to get back more into the habit of writing.  I do miss the cathartic nature of getting the plague of my ideas off my shoulders and into the ethereal blog space.  This is something that the blog offers, and that I miss.  

No comments: