Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Score

You rockin' loud but you ain't sayin' nothin.

So I am running a hip hop diplomacy program for the State Dept, called Next Level. My job is to take MCs, DJs, Breakdancers and Beatmakers to India, Bangladesh, Senegal, Zimbabwe, Serbia and Bosnia. We had our orientation this week

We have some amazing talents, and real pioneers in hip hop. I am taking Diamond D to Serbia. If you remember, Diamond D produced The Fugees album "The Score." He won a Grammy for it.

At some point, he was talking in a small roundtable, and he said: "Yeah, I rap a little."

And I rolled off from The Score:

I creep like a thief, no doubt the man's swift 
I'm more magnificent than Lee Van Cliff

His lines.

He just laughed and smiled and said: "I see where your comin' from, my man"

I just smiled as I walked out the door.

No comments: