Saturday, September 14, 2013

Managing is getting paid for home runs someone else hits

So I hear Stengel has been named to be the new Undersec for Public Diplomacy.  Didn't he used to coach the Yankees?

"Can't anybody here play this game," bellowed mighty Casey after he came out of retirement to coach the 1962 Mets, one of the worst teams of all time.

In all seriousness, I am a tad apprehensive of the pick. If they were not going to keep Sonenshine (who did a fabulous job, and really understood PD), then go for a professional diplomat. This man has no public diplomacy experience, and no government experience.

Communicating news in the middlebrow press that is Time is not the same ballgame as communicating policy, culture and values to foreign audiences.  Just look at the Time cover differences, and then tell me I don't have a reason to be slightly apprehensive. I am worried this could go more McHale (McHale's Navy was anemic at the PD helm) than Sonenshine or Glassman-- two very capable PD chiefs who did not have long enough tenures.

But...as The Old Professor famously said, "never make predictions, especially about the future," so I will reserve my judgement to let Mr. Richard take the helm and show the PD community his PD chops.  

No comments: