Saturday, August 31, 2013

Syria cont.

I rarely agree with Charles Krauthammer, but he is pretty spot-on in this piece:
Or more accurately, shamed into action. Which is the worst possible reason. A president doesn’t commit soldiers to a war for which he has zero enthusiasm. Nor does one go to war for demonstration purposes.
Want to send a message? Call Western Union. A Tomahawk missile is for killing. A serious instrument of war demands a serious purpose.
I'm not sure if I agree with his conclusion, I am still wrestling with all this.

But in the good news from Syria side of things, the Syrian Kurds are carving out their own autonomous region, and units of Kurdish women fighters are kicking the snot out of the Islamists.  Case-in-point of why I love the Kurds.  The upside to all this Middle Eastern mess continues to be more freedom for the Kurds. 

No comments: