Thursday, August 08, 2013

Crazy Pants Warning

I am glad someone else said what I have been thinking about this: a bit of incredulity at the up-ticked warning 

It’s crazy pants – you can quote me,” said Will McCants, a former State Department adviser on counterterrorism who this month joins the Brookings Saban Center as the director of its project on U.S. relations with the Islamic world. 
“We just showed our hand, so now they’re obviously going to change their position on when and where” to attack, said Nada Bakos, a former CIA analyst who was part of the team that hunted Osama bin Laden for years.
“It’s not completely random, but most people are, like, ‘Whaaat?’ ” said Aaron Zelin, who researches militants for the Washington Institute for Near East Policy and blogs about them at Jihadology.net 
And it sucks that I felt I had to bite my tongue to call BS. But since these "terror experts" called it a spade, I guess I feel less compunction.

So, my real thoughts on this: Way to justify spying with a ratcheted-up terror warning....there I said it too. Tail a waggin...

 PS: McClatchy is one of the better news services. They were one of the few poking around the Iraq WMD stories, and were pointing out the tremendous holes. Now that WaPo has been bought by Amazonia, the remaining real news services are even more valuable.

PPS: Good piece by Peter Van Buren on the Mice and Men failures that this all illustrates.

No comments: