Saturday, July 27, 2013

la paix soit sur vous

As the train sped underground, the ghost of Michael Jackson danced to Billie Jean (She's says I am the one...).  From Bastille to Concord, the King of Pop lived on.  I proffered my loose change into his black hat.

In the long tiled intestines of the metro, en route from 1 to 8, a six-piece Eastern European band played Slavic folk songs that echoed off the white tiles.  The two accordions wailed as the contrabass plucked and the guitarist strummed.  Their voices filled the tunnel.  I tossed my last euro into their wicker basket.

As I walked away to the 8, the band began to play a more familiar tune: Hevenu Shalom Aleichem.  I smiled and lent my voice to that old tribal tune as I walked on.  Shabbat Shalom to all, and may peace be upon you.

No comments: