Saturday, March 02, 2013

Portobello Reuben & the deli challenge

In a rare respite from work this week, my operations manager Spencer and I headed out to the Cherokee neighborhood in St. Louis to grab a bite at a place called The Mud House.  He had a sandwich called a Veggie Time, which consisted of roasted red peppers, portobello mushrooms, cucumbers, pea shoots, onion marmalade and goat cheese on a soft roll.  I had a portobello reuben, which was immaculate.  Grilled portobello mushrooms, swiss cheese, caramelized onions and russian dressing on toasted marble rye.  Yum! It was savory and gooey, and incredibly delicious.  Perfect comfort food for a long day.  We split the sandwiches for a little shared flavor.

My dad sent me an interesting article on the tough times of Jewish delis, but perhaps the once-mighty deli needs to adapt.  If I could find more portobello mushroom reubens on the menu, I would frequent more often.

For dessert, we stopped into a lovely little bakery called Whisk, a sustainable bakeshop up the street.  We chatted with the lovely owner about cake balls, life in the bakery and otherwise, as I munched a scrumptious brownie.  She gave me the choice of middle piece or ends.  The middle, please.  It was the perfect consistency of chocolatey and soft without being too much of either.  I was curious about the sea salt chocolate chip bacon cookie, but not enough to break my kosher vegetarian ways.

No comments: