Saturday, January 05, 2013

Hagelian

I hope President Obama ends up nominating Chuck Hagel for SecDef, and I think the notion that there will be a confirmation fight is utterly bunk.  The man was a Republic senator, who was well-respected by his colleagues.  No way McCain or Graham (or any lesser Chicken Hawks or NeoCons) has the moxie to challenge him in a nomination hearing.  Not a chance.  I am throwing a bullshit flag on the so-called murmurings.

My only issue is that I don't like that President Obama will have nominated two Republicans for Secretary of Defense.  Part of me says it sends the wrong message that only Republicans can handle defense.  Although I do think the Obama administration has done a good job pushing back on such notions.

But typecasts are not helpful, in defense or diplomacy.

PS: The last time a SecDef nominee was rejected was John Tower, who was nominated by President Goerge H.W. Bush, but was defeated over questions of his womanizing and alcoholism.  Instead, we got Wyoming Rep. Richard (Dick) Cheney as Secretary of Defense, launching the career of then-Minority Whip in a trajectory far more dangerous than could have been anticipated.  Let that be a lesson...

No comments: