Sunday, December 23, 2012

Why indeed

"Did you know you can take a flight on Southwest for $50 one way?" my Mom asked. 

"No thanks," I replied.

"But it is only an hour flight, and probably is about the same as you paid for the buses," she said.

"Yes, but I would still rather take the bus," I replied.

"Why?," she asked puzzledly.

Why indeed.  From a rational, linear standpoint, which my parents often hold, it would make no sense to opt for an 8 hour bus trip over a 1 hour flight, especially if the costs are about the same.

So I will offer the reasons of why I did, and feel I made the right decision:

-I have taken roughly 15 flights in the last 6 weeks, and flying the friendly skies of Absurdistan makes you weary.  Contrary to what the airlines tell you, real miles are earned far lower to the ground.

-The chance to have a slice of possibly the finest New York pizza at Pizza Suprema, which a fellow named Colin Hagendorf considered the best in Manhattan.  Colin tried a slice of cheese in every pizza place in New York, and only Pizza Suprema received a perfect rating.  As one who has tried a semi-similar quest to find the stinkiest of the stink tofu in Taipei, I can respect the hunt for quality.

I can't say I disagree with Colin's call.  The crust was perfectly crispy and firm yet  not overly so.  The sauce had a tangy sweetness.  The cheese was ooey-gooey and it came at the perfect temperature as to threaten pizza burn but leave the roof unscathed.

-To see the demonstration outside Macy's against fur, with disgusting pictures and strange looking dolls of shorn marmots.

-For the utter joy of riding the New York subway, which is always a show.  6-year old Chinese piano prodigies playing Beethoven.  A fetid homeless fellow chatting away with himself.  I watched a Subway sanitation worker slip the self-talker a few bucks.  She wished him a Merry Christmas, and I was reminded of what we all live by.

-For the frenetic pace of Chinatown, and a reminder of why I miss the East.

-For the pure, unadulterated joy of 8 hours of reading, writing and swimming through my own head while staring out the flat screen that is life seen through the bus window.

2 comments:

John Brown said...

In my younger days I used to take a Greyhound bus from Concord, New Hampshire to Mexico City. Also, I took a bus in '74 from Tehran to Istanbul -- it was full of drugged- out Germans returning from Afghanistan. The bus driver would regularly spray the passengers with eau de cologne. But guess what? No TSA third-degree.

Paul Rockower said...

Concord to DF! That is a trek I can respect! My longest bus ride was from Jakarta across Sumatra. It took 54 hours. All the passengers were smoking clove cigarettes. The bus had a/c so all the windows were closed.

And yes, the TSA is a factor I forgot to include. All the poor Dellas are now on a watch list, and every flight are getting extra special treatment. The fiddlista was on a flight yesterday from Nashville to Spokanistan, and she had 1.5 hours of searching and grilling.

The other factor I forgot to mention: holiday time at the airports. After perusing facebook, and reading of all the flightmares, I definitely think I made the right call.