Sunday, December 16, 2012

Why we do what we do

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give."
-Winston Churchill

Moving words from Della Mae's Kimber Ludiker, and a stirring reminder of why we do what we do:

For the last 6 weeks I've been a part of cultural diplomacy in action. My band Della Mae has partnered with the US State Department and American Voices in a program called American Music Abroad. Over 6 weeks I've fallen completely in love with the people, music, and cultures of Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan. It's given me a whole new respect for the Foreign Services (there are fewer people in the Foreign Services than the Army's marching band- and officers in Pakistan can't bring their families).
Cultural Diplomacy is a really incredible thing, and it works. Bridging gaps in this world is so important. It's been a life changing and humbling experience to be in South and Central Asia. We need to know how other people live, and how our lives effect one another. I will be dedicating my life to seeking out and spreading this knowledge. This trip will definitely change the way Della Mae approaches our touring as well, especially in the United States. Here's to the New Year, and to a resolution that hopefully is simple enough for everyone: Expanding our hearts.

As I process my experiences, I'll share more, but right now it's a little overwhelming!

Love from Dushanbe, Tajikistan as I begin my 30 hour journey back to the States... and another trip the next day to my new home in Nashville, TN.
-Kimber

Mama hen might cluck a few tears from that. 

No comments: