Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Rabbi Rockower's recipe for a proper Jewish Xmas

A movie and a Chinese massage.  A Rabbi Rockower take on a Jewish tradition.

Migas for starters.  Homemade Mexican egg hash.  Cut up and fry tortillas squares.  Add onions, a clove of garlic.  Three button mushrooms.  A handful of spinach.  Some leftover pinto bean stew.  Salsa.  Two eggs, cracked over.  Some nicely toasted toast.

The Hobbit.  3D.  IMax.  Epic.  There, and not quite back again.  An excellent start to a classic adventure.   One that I thoroughly enjoyed.

This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;'
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town, 
And beats high mountain down.

Time I will give.  It was epic.

This was one I didn't remember:

Thirty white horses on a red hill,
First they champ,
Then they stamp,
Then they stand still.

...bites.

I wandered my way to Chinatown for a Vietnamese banh mi (sandwich) for lunch.  It was a place I found a decade ago, and was still just as good.  In a crusty french loaf, julienned carrots, shallots, chili peppers, mint and tofu, slathered in sriracha.  The world would be a better place if there was more honor tofu.  I washed it down with a strong, sweet Vietnamese coffee with a lil condensed milk.

I wandered my way to Chinatown to find a foot massage.  What I found was even better.  I had a back and head massage.  It was epic.

Chinese ladies like to tell me I am beautiful.  They love my eyelashes.  And they giggle at my pidgin mandarin.

The lithe little one used her elbows and forearms across my back.  She kneaded my back horizontally with a little diagonal with her forearm.

With a shampoo massage and face wash.  A proper brainwashing.  Probably the best washing i have had since I was in a plastic bath tub.  

This was a proper scrub.  Lather, rinse and repeat.  With a soapy neck scrub.  Wo de dee- oh ma gawd as they say in Beantown.

Now I am headed back for a double feature.  Skyfall.  First a Maker's that is making its mark.  Some traditional Chinese to follow.

No comments: