Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Gotham

Having risen with the Levant, and joyfully spent his summer in Sumer, Don Pablo Quijote returns to a whole new abode, one that is far more perilous than anything Mesopotamia had to offer: New York City.  Yes, the rotten apple has a new resident.


New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of 
There's nothin' you can't do

Having passed through a bevy of American cities, this could be my last, best attempt at finding an American city that I can call home.  My problem when residing in America is that I often feel disconnected with the rest of the world, even in cities with diversity and international panache.  I find that it is only when I am traveling can I reconnect with both the world, and my memories passing through it.  Perhaps New York can keep me stimulated enough that I can tap into that wellspring.  I have a feeling it can.  

Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new 

Washington had its place and served a purpose.  And it could not have happened any other way.  But I cannot stay.  It was too familiar, too claustrophobic, and bore too much weight than I was willing to shoulder.  As Benjamin Button said: “It’s a funny thing coming home. Looks the same. Sounds the same. Even smells the same. You realize the only thing that’s changed…is you."

I know myself well enough at this point to know when it is time for a change.  New York offers the promise of new adventures, and the blessed anonymity that I like.

Big lights will inspire you

Gotham's grit and glitz may be just the ticket to keep me entertained, and I plan to take advantage of my virtual office.  Maybe I will occupy the Empire State Building for my new office.  

Let's hear it for New York, New York, New York

The Count of Monte Cristo taught me that the two most powerful words: wait and hope.  I have high hopes for Gotham, and think it just might be the ticket.

"For what it's worth: it's never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again." 
 -The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

No comments: