Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Smith-Mundt and Propaganda

There are people who know and care far more about the Smith-Mundt Modernization Act than moi, and I will let them debate and discuss.  The thing that I find most fascinating is that the debate about the dreaded "p" word has become filled with propagandized discussions.  Propaganda is essentially the use of small bits of cherry-picked information or half-truths used to try to influence thought--as opposed to public diplomacy, which tries to draw a more robust picture and shade in greyer areas.  Yet the discussion over Smith-Mundt and what it stands for seems tainted by half-understood truths and weighted terms bandied about over what is really at play.

I have my own issues and questions about the "modernization" of Smith-Mundt, but I would hope that the debate could be held frankly and fully, and with a full understanding of all the implications.  

No comments: