Tuesday, May 15, 2012

If you desire peace, prepare for war

I happened to bump into a former high-level peace processer, under whose stewardship the Israeli-Palestinian peace process ran aground.  I have to say, I think I have a better idea why it failed.  This negotiator was somewhere between pompous, aloof and condescending.  With such charm, I can only imagine what negotiations were like.  I don't think this fellow could convince peanut butter and jelly to get along (gastrodiplomacy!).  Brings  me back to the question I constantly find myself asking: why are those charged with diplomacy often so utterly undiplomatic?

PS: Having read Ambassador Michael Oren's woe-is-Israel's-reputation op-ed, I am saddened to see the formerly-engaging historian reduced to a simple shill.  He know full well what happened to Israel's reputation, and his piece is so full of disingenuous half-truths that I don't even care o begin picking holes in it. 

No comments: