Sunday, March 11, 2012

The present of present

Hai Ram.  That hindu eureka, and the last words of the Mahatma.  Catching an arrow from  the blue-skinned god is about opening your eyes to the gifts around you.  The present of present.  The gifts of God, glory be he.  Such glory found in stopping, listening and looking long enough to appreciate such gifts of a DC Spring.  A DC Spring to shake of the winter's discontent.

A DC reset borne out of stops in a few places that won't hold me at present.  New York, possibly in the future but not for a bit.  St. Louis on occasion at present but not for full.  San Francisco, perhaps in the future but doubtful.  LA in the past, but always a place to return.  For the first time in a while, I can sit back and enjoy my place for a bit, and engage in my present.

So I spent the present sunday visiting the National Museum of Women in the Arts.  I stumbled upon the museum in the US Air magazine on my flight home.  I like arts; I like women; sounds like a good combination.

And I found a recycled tribute to Princess Grace of Monaco.  What a beauty.  Understatement of the day.  The tribute by Nikos Flores was fascinating.  Stunning gowns of cans.  Yes, cans.  A silver diet coke can wedding dress shimmering silver.  Bottle cap buttons.  A dress' tress with strands of cans; a tress to impress of folded silver aluminum.
A smart sprite suit.
A red blouse that was the real thing, and some ruby cola slippers to accompany.  Impressionante.

The collection at the museum is quite good, and the hall ornate.  A hidden gem in fair DC.

"If it were customary to send little girls to school and teach them the same subject as are taught to boys, they would learn just as fully and would understand the subtleties of all arts and science."
-Cesarine Davin-Mirvault.  How radical.




No comments: