Monday, March 26, 2012

Grey Day; Black Jack

The grey day was clouding my mind. Ever the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Grey.  It was like a sickness that had enveloped me, wrapping itself and tinging my thoughts with moroseness. I should have been bright and beaming but I was weighted down under grey. I went down to the National Building Museum to see the Unbuilt Washington exhibit, designs on DC that never were.



Thankfully, as I was departing the weekend grey was clearing.  I made my way in the sunnier afternoon and ended up at a monument for Black Jack Pershing.  If ever there was an American great who seems to have been largely forgotten--confined to parks bearing his name and legions of homeless.  Black Jack was a real American hero, involved in everything from the Spanish-American War and the pacifying of the Philippines to chasing Pancho Villa around Mexico to leading the American armies through the trenches of Europe (Historical note: "Black Jack" Pershing's army did not have Black troops fighting in it, and amazingly, Black American combat troops were placed under French command.  Shocking...).  Anywho, I could use a good book on Black Jack if anyone can recommend one.  Perhaps we need a good movie on the man.

From Pershing Park, I wandered into the Willard Hotel, the illustrious abode from whose gilded lobby we received the term "lobbying."  A low light gilded delight, nonetheless, and guests were enjoying their tea with clotted cream as I enjoyed the gilded reflections in marble tables as a kimono-clad woman plucked a Japanese board guitar.
From DC Weekend

No comments: