Saturday, February 11, 2012

Propaganda and the Great War

"Lead this people into war, and they'll forget there was ever such a thing as tolerance. To fight, you must be brutal and ruthless, and the spirit of ruthless brutality will enter into the very fibre of national life, infecting the Congress, the courts, the policeman on the beat, the man in the street."

"WWI was the defining moment of the 20th century. Everything else is a footnote. Thus Spake John Brown."

A great piece on propaganda and the Great War.  Nice find, JB, and nice quote.

 I am off to start on Paris 1919, thanks Harry for the great bday gift.  I had started Paris 1919 on my drive out across the country with my father on my way to begin my life in Southern California.  I had to stop the book-on-tape because it was too interesting and I wanted to read it for myself.  Now I am.

"I cannot say for how many years, perhaps I should say for how many centuries, the crisis which has begun will continue...Yes, this treaty will bring us burdens, troubles, miseries, difficulties, and that will continue for long years."
-Georges Clemenceau


"In diplomacy, as in life itself, one often learns more from failures than successes.  Triumphs will seem, in retrospect, to be foreordained, a series of brilliant actions and decisions that may in fact have been lucky or inadvertent, whereas failures illuminate paths and pitfalls to be avoided- in the parlance of modern bureaucrats, lessons learned."
-Richard Holbrooke, forward to Paris 1919

No comments: