Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Juan Valdez

I am having an interesting week of meetings related to cultural diplomacy in South Sudan, Kurdistan and the Gulf.  I just finished a meeting related to cultural diplomacy in the world's newest country, and I popped over to my favorite gastrodiplomacy coffee shop in the district: Juan Valdez Cafe.

As I sipped the wonderfully rich Colombian coffee and ate a delicious almojabana- a soft cornbread cheese roll, I smiled at the gastrodiplomacy value of the location as a means to introduce Colombian food and culture. The Colombian coffee retailers' chain is a wonderful endeavor designed to promote Colombian coffee and culture.  There are stores located in New York City, Washington D.C., Madrid, Quito and Guayaquil (Ecuador) and Santiago, Chile.  I think the Colombian government would be wise to use these shops for gastrodiplomacy purposes and spread them far and wide.

2 comments:

Miles Knowles said...

I agree and am surprised the Colombian Gov't isn't throwing out incentives for more JVs across the US, though you should see what they are throwing their money behind now:

http://www.colombia.travel/en/new-official-bloggers

Paul Rockower said...

It doesn't seem like a bad idea in theory, but doesn't strike me as having a feel of authentic when posted on an official site. Round up some useful expats....