Saturday, April 10, 2010

How do you say "hmmm" in Russian?

My friend David makes an interesting pelican brief over the bombing in Moscow:

"It seems convenient that the Moscow bombings (blamed on Chechen rebels) took place a week after mass protests were coordinated in cities, across 11 time zones in Russia, calling for Putin's resignation. What do you think?

1) Thousands in Russia protest government in 'Day of Wrath' (March 21)

"The opposition has called such rallies on the 31st day of previous months as well - a nod to the 31st Article of the Russian constitution, which guarantees the right of assembly."

2) 'Evidence' In Moscow Subway Bombings Doesn't Add Up

3) Russian police break up protests, dozens detained (March 31)

Interestingly, "A counter-demonstration by some 1,500 pro-Kremlin youth activists in Moscow focused on denouncing terrorism, at the same time and place where police were rounding up the opposition protests."


1 comment:

Kimberlee Thorne-Waintraub said...

Hi Paul!

Remember me, Kimberlee from Buenos Aires? I've just reposted one of your articles you wrote on language to my new blog. I've love to ask you to be a contributor to it, since I love your writing style. I've become one of your blog's follower's, so I should be easy to find:)

Hope you're doing well!
Kimberlee