Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Eating Jello with Chopsticks

My moment of zen came early this morning, over breakfast in a cafeteria full of Japanese students. I went with my program mate Yudai for some morning grub. We waited in line with all the adorable Japanese camp children and school girls dressed in their uniforms. Breakfast consisted of miso soup, rice with fermented beans, pickled fish, pickles and some form of sliced carrot-like vegetable. All washed down with the best instant coffee I have ever tasted, and some barley tea and blueberry juice. I was chock full of smiles, taking in the cultural exchange cafeteria scene, benign stares and smiles included.

The aforementioned moment of zen came as I had desert, a bowl of jello squares that I ate with chopsticks. Yes, it is as hard as it sounds. Eating jello with chopsticks requires concentration and patience- necessary skills for all public diplomacy samurai.

No comments: