Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Cape of Three Seas

"I am writing this at the cape,
in front of the sea,
where three waters meet and furnish a sight unequaled
in the world.
For this is no port of call for vessels.
Like the Goddess,
the waters around are virgin."
-Mohandis K. Gandhi, January 15, 1937

Like Jacob, I wrestled with the muse all the way down India's coast. Finally I caught her at the place where the three seas meet, sitting on a veranda of the final resting place for one Mohandis K. Gandhi, and overlooking the very bottom of India. With the setting sun gently warming my face, I realized that I need to give back to the world that has given me so much beauty. She has shown me too many of her miseries for me to continue to sit idly by. There is too much work to be done, and I cannot remain a wandering Jew forever.

This veritable Cape of good hope reminded me of another cape in another southern land. Gandhi found his voice, his direction and his muse in South Africa. He unleashed his muse on behalf of India and her struggle for independence. I'm still holding onto mine, looking for her release point.

By 27, my eyes have seen too much beauty to describe, too much to capture in any photograph. Yet where do I stand? At 27, Martin Luther King was spearheading the Montgomery Bus Boycott. By 27, Gandhi was already a practicing lawyer, and was briefly returning to India to organize support for Indians in South Africa. I need to get a move on, as time slips away with every fading day.

Over the thousands of miles I have traveled to reach this most southerly point of my journey, it has become clear to me that I need to return, as there is work to be done. There are still many miles to cross before I get to it, but I now realize that I cannot remain as a driven leaf indefinitely. Till then, journey on.

1 comment:

Natalya said...

keep traveling....ted bundy's first victim was when he was 28.
all good humor here...hope all is well!